Statistics: 13.5 miles, ascent 1137′, descent 1281′
To reach our B&B, Highfield House, last night, we walked to the top of the nearby Pewley Hill, but off the North Downs Way. This morning we then walked through Pewley Down on our path back to this day’s trail.
Leaving Pewley, we had a long, gentle descent to rejoin the North Downs Way.
We were followed by a delightful chorus of birdsongs as we moved along several woodland trails. At the pinnacle of another hill, sat St. Martha’s Hill Church with a commanding view of the area.
The forested trails eventually opened out to far-reaching views from Albury Downs. It is said that the chalk-filled earth of the North Downs
We soon arrived at Newland’s Corner with its visitor center and food kiosk.
A small monument across the car park reflected sentiments of awe inspired by this lovely countryside.
Soon, the path took us back into a wood.
In 1940 the North Downs became a vital area of national defense. As a final “stop line” against an anticipated German invasion, the Home Guard set up over 100 pillboxes across these hills to prevent advancing armies from reaching London. Over half of these still remain, reminding the English of those civilians who were willing to stand in the breach for the good of their country.
Several pillboxes were open to the public – with descriptive historical commentary. Visitors were allowed to climb inside – which I could not resist…
The white chalk soil was an indicator that we were on the downs.
Our day’s walk was nearly finished as we spied the village of Dorking in the distance.
A very welcome food truck was along the trail, providing its tea and coffee to hikers, when we arrived at Ranmore.
To reach our night’s lodgings we had to descend through vineyards to Denbies Guest House and Wine Estate.
The Wine Estate and the food were quite a treat. Unfortunately, the owners were updating their grounds and landscape construction surrounded the B&B. Staying there one night was enough, although lodgers to follow us will enjoy the completed project.